Creative questions to ask the seller that will help you negotiate. When buying a property, negotiations are key. Knowing the sellers “itch”…knowing why they are selling will help you, turn the tables to your favor by asking hard hitting question that create a win, win situation.
1. Are you the only person who will make the decision to sell?
2. Describe the property (have them sell you)?
3. What are the selling points on the property?
4. Tell me about the property’s problems.
5. Do you need all cash or would you consider monthly payments for part of your equity?
6. What is the down payment?
7. Would you reduce the down payment if I gave you a higher price?
8. Is there rent control?
9. Will you guarantee the property in writing for one year?
10. Do you have anything else for sale?
11. What do you want for the property?
12. How did you come up with that price?
13. Why are you selling?
14. When do you need to sell?
15. Was it ever listed with a realtor?
16. For how much?
17. Why didn’t it sell?
18. What are your plans if it doesn’t sell?
19. What is the least amount you would be willing to take with out losing sleep at night?
20. Is that the best you can do?
21. So, if you don’t get x you won’t sell?
22. Is there a mortgage on the property?
23. What is the amount owed on the property?